Karwa Chauth is a singular Indian pageant that’s majorly related to ladies of North India. It is a fasting day, which is basically noticed by married ladies, for the well-being, good well being and longevity of their husbands. There are numerous elements of this pageant, amongst which, meals additionally performs a big position. On the finish of the day, ladies break their vrat or quick. Right here, I’ve shared a set of in style Karwa Chauth Recipes. Additionally, the Puja Vidhi (process) and rituals like Sargi, Baya, Group Pooja, Music and break the Karwa Chauth quick.
Karwa Chauth is on November 1, 2023. I’m sharing this recipes listing, in order that it’s simpler so that you can determine your menu prematurely. Guarantee to not add onions and garlic in any recipe you put together in the course of the fasting of Karwa Chauth.
What’s Karwa Chauth
The phrase ‘karwa’ is equal to the Hindi time period ‘diya,’ which suggests ‘a small earthen lamp’ or ‘a pitcher or pot.’ ‘Chauth’ means ‘fourth.’ Since, this pageant falls on the 4th day after the complete moon within the Kartik month, it’s named as Karwa Chauth.
As I discussed to start with, Karwa Chauth is a special occasion of fasting or vrat noticed by ladies in North India for the well being, well-being, prosperity and lengthy lifetime of their husbands.
After the Karwa Chauth rituals and puja are over in the course of the day, the ladies watch for the moon to come back up. It’s customary of today that the sky is cloudy. Thus, the moon is commonly seen late.
As soon as the lengthy wait is over, the ladies lastly get to see the moon by way of a sieve and provide water to the moon whereas in search of its blessings.
Put up this, the wives are first given a sip of water after which a morsel of meals, normally a Mathri by their husbands. To know extra about this process, don’t overlook to learn the sections beneath.
As soon as all these rituals and procedures are accomplished, there’s extra meals that ladies, their husbands and the their households feast on collectively.
These dishes are sometimes made maintaining in thoughts the character of the pageant, that’s fast-friendly and likewise are nutritious and filling on the identical time.
You’ll be able to confer with my compilation of Karwa Chauth Recipes on this put up to get an thought about the identical and plan your menu for that day, accordingly.
Karwa Chauth Pageant
The day begins on the break of the daybreak and in my household, we normally have Gobi Paratha, Aloo Paratha with Raita and a candy dish like Sooji Halwa, Vermicelli Kheer or pheni. Generally now we have some chaat dishes too. If not Paratha, then now we have Aloo Gobi with phulka.
All these scrumptious dishes are consumed earlier than dawn or higher to say, when the celebrities are nonetheless there within the sky. I even have tea after which plenty of water too as a result of the entire day goes within the Karwa Chauth fasting, with out consuming something and even ingesting water.
At dwelling, we normally have a dinner meal of Chana Masala or rajma masala, dal makhani or mah ki dal with rice or roti and a few vegetable facet dish. That is how we rejoice this pageant at our dwelling.
With my signature compilation of Karwa Chauth Recipes on this put up, even you’ll be able to plan your Karwa Chauth menu prematurely.
In order that, your total day goes easy and problem free, and you’ll be able to deal with the vrat and rituals’ half with ease. You’ll be able to even make any Chutney a day earlier than. Additionally, mathri might be made a day or two earlier than.
Karwa Chauth Vrat Vidhi
The beneath talked about guidelines or process are adopted at my home for Karwa Chauth vrat or fasting. These could fluctuate from household to household. If doubtful, kindly seek the advice of the elders or your pandit to have the ability to comply with the foundations in accordance with your loved ones.
- Karwa Chauth vrat will also be saved by single ladies, if the engagement ceremony is already accomplished.
- Onion and garlic are strictly not consumed all through the day, even after breaking the fasts. So, all of the Karwa Chauth Recipes that I even have talked about right here must be ready sans any garlic or onion in them.
- For today, ladies costume up of their greatest garments. Some additionally put on the costume they wore on their wedding ceremony day. Principally crimson, orange, golden or shiny coloured garments, sari or ghagra-choli is worn. White or black coloured garments are prevented as these colours aren’t thought-about auspicious for this event.
- Ladies aren’t presupposed to do carry out any family work on today. As a substitute, they apply henna or mehndi on their arms, costume up and prepare with make-up.
Principally accomplished in Punjabi households, Sargi is given by the mother-in-law which incorporates mathri, coconut (should), fruits like banana, apple, and many others. and sweets or as per your want. Normally, dish constructed from pheni and milk can also be part of the sargi.
- Cash can also be given by the mother-in-law in the future prematurely, in order that the daughter-in-law should purchase cosmetics or shringar objects like bangles, bindi, mehendi, lipstick, hair band, chunri, garments and many others. If the mother-in-law is just not staying collectively, then she will ship/switch the cash.
- On the morning of Karwa Chauth, earlier than consuming sargi, the daughter-in-law touches 7 objects, that she has determined to donate or provide to the non secular priestess (panditani) after the pooja within the night. These 7 objects normally are mehendi, fruits, almonds or cashews (nuts and dry fruits), mathri, coconut and cash.
- Whereas having sargi, the dish made with pheni and milk or sweets is consumed first. It’s to start out the day on a candy, optimistic word. After this, coconut is eaten after which the principle course meal. The coconut is normally damaged by the husband. Since after the solar rises, it isn’t allowed to eat meals or drink water, ladies should eat a variety of water that may suffice them for all the day.
- Earlier than consuming sargi, ladies put bindi and take the crimson colour chunri on their head. Head bathtub is taken in the future earlier than the Karwa Chauth vrat, within the night to have a clear head (‘sucha’ in Punjabi language).
- The daughter-in-law additionally provide garments and nuts like almonds or cashews to her in legal guidelines after the vrat is over, earlier than a meal of conventional Karwa Chauth Recipes is consumed to finish the day.
Karwa Chauth Puja Vidhi
Earlier than you head to the listing of Karwa Chauth Recipes, right here’s some scoop on the puja vidhi of today. Some individuals worship Bhagwan Shiva and Parvati Maa within the morning. In our dwelling, we solely worship Goddess Parvati within the type of Gauri Maa within the group puja which takes place within the night round 4.00 PM or 5.00 PM.
Earlier than the sundown, all women from the locality collect in a single place for the group puja. Of their thali (plates), they carry sweets, mathri, fruits, sari and garments. This stuff are known as as ‘baya.’ It’s introduced from the cash the daughter-in-law receives from her mom or father.
Other than baya objects, there are different issues within the thali like mustard oil, sindur, surma and all of the 7 objects which have been saved for the non secular priestess.
A glass (or kalash) of water can also be introduced, which will get provided to the moon within the evening. This water has rice grains and sugar added to it. A mauli or crimson string is tied across the lotta.
All the women sit round Gauri Mata with their objects and worship her. The women additionally provide surma, lipstick, sindur to the goddess. It’s like doing her shringar.
One aged girl or panditani recites the Karwa Chauth katha or story and the thali containing the baya is rotated 7 instances. Whereas rotating the thali, a conventional music can also be sung.
Karwa Chauth Ka Gana (Music)
- For first six rotation or feri the music is “veero kudiye karwara, sarv suhagan karwara, aye katti naya teri naa, kumbh chrakhra feri naa, aar pair payeen naa, ruthda maniyen naa, suthra jagayeen naa, ve veero kuriye karwara, ve sarv suhagan karwara”
- After each rotation, as soon as the thali comes again, then it’s first kissed after which saved it together with kalash (or glass) containing water.
- And for the 7ᵗʰ thali rotation the music is “veero kudiye karwara, sarv suhagan karwara, aye katti naya teri nee, kumbh chrakhra feri bhee, aar pair payeen bhee, ruthda maniyen bhee, suthra jagayeen bhee, ve veero kuriye karwara, ve sarv suhagan karwara”
- The Gauri Maa puja is to hope for the properly being and lengthy lifetime of your husband.
- You’ll be able to provide the 7 objects (which you’ve gotten touched within the morning earlier than consuming sargi) to the panditani or non secular girl on this puja after listening to the Karwa Chauth katha.
- In some households, after the group pooja is accomplished, one is allowed to drink a cup of tea or chilly drink (however not each). That is normally a modern-day alteration to make the process of fasting little simpler. As per guidelines, no matter beverage is chosen on the primary Karwa Chauth is the one which you need to eat throughout all vrats on today, for the remainder of life.
- Baya objects that are worshipped (Mansana) with the assistance of panditani or priestess is later given to the mother-in-law and father-in-law.
Breaking The Quick
When the moon is seen, then we take a thali, the place we place one diya made with wheat flour (atta). On this diya, we pour mustard oil inserting a cotton wick inside which is lit. Some mathris are additionally saved on this thali. The water from the night puja of Gauri Maa can also be taken in a small kalash pot .
Then, the crimson colour chunri is taken on the top. Slippers/sandals are faraway from the toes. One picket stick or piece is saved beneath the toes. The lit diya is positioned in a sieve and the lady then sees the moon not directly from the sieve.
At our dwelling, we repeat the next strains 3 to 4 instances whereas seeing the moon not directly by way of the sieve – ‘haath khari phair chari principal suhagan argh den khari,’ which suggests, ‘my arms are unfold, I’m standing with a picket stick beneath my toes and I’m a married lady standing right here to supply water to you.’
After repeating these strains, the diya is thrown backwards. Then, the moon is seen straight and all of the water is poured downwards within the path of the moon. With this, 5 to six mathri items are additionally thrown in direction of the path of the moon. Your complete water from the kalash is emptied. You’ll be able to’t drink this water.
Then, the husband is seen by way of the sieve. Many ladies additionally contact the toes of their husbands at this stage and internally pray for his or her well-being. After this, to interrupt the vrat, the husband affords water and mathri to the spouse. With this, all can sit for the dinner meal, for which you’ll be able to confer with my listing of Karwa Chauth Recipes right here.
Dos and Don’ts
Few actions to be prevented throughout fasting on today are:
- Don’t weave or sew any material.
- Don’t use scissors and needles.
- One should not go to the fields.
- Don’t get up any one who is sleeping.
- Keep away from pleasing anybody with whom you’ve gotten or had a battle.
Karwa Chauth Recipes
I’ve shared Karwa Chauth Recipes that you would be able to make for dinner (after breaking your vrat) and the recipes which are included within the sargi. The dishes that make up the sargi platter are consumed earlier than starting with the quick.
Sargi is the meal which is had earlier than daybreak and earlier than taking-up the vrat. On this part, you’ll discover breakfast dishes that may be made simply. I’ve additionally added some candy recipes.
You’ll be able to prep a few of the dishes a day earlier than and refrigerate them. The sweets will also be made a day earlier than and refrigerated.
Word that a few of the recipes listed beneath have onion and garlic in them as I didn’t make them on the event of Karwa Chauth however on some common days.
So, when utilizing them as Karwa Chauth Recipes, simply skip the onion and garlic from them. You’ll be able to add a pinch of asafoetida (hing) within the dishes to imitate the flavors of onion and garlic.
For extra such recipes, you’ll be able to examine this assortment of No Onion No Garlic Recipes too.
Sargi is the meal which is had earlier than daybreak and earlier than taking over the karwa chauth quick. On this part you’ll discover the breakfast dishes that may be made simply.
I’ve additionally added some sweets recipes. You’ll be able to prep a few of the dishes a day earlier than and refrigerate them. The sweets will also be made a day earlier than and refrigerated.
Sev puri recipe is a canapé like snack -where crispy fried flour discs are topped with flavorful condiments, veggies, herbs, floor spices and extra. Spicy, candy, tangy, savory, crunchy, crispy flavors – all bursting in your mouth in every chew. Study to make this mouthwatering snack with my genuine Mumbai fashion recipe.
Aloo Tikki is a well-liked North Indian avenue meals snack of savory, spiced and crispy potato patties. A primary Aloo Tikki Recipe is made with potatoes, spices, herbs, breadcrumbs or a binding flour and might be full of a filling of mashed cooked inexperienced peas or cooked chana dal or paneer.
5 hours 30 minutes
Sabudana Vada is a well-liked savory deep fried snack made throughout Hindu fasting days, that includes tapioca pearls (sago), potatoes, peanuts and herbs. They’re naturally gluten-free and vegan. This idiot proof sabudana vada recipe provides you a brilliant scrumptious crispy vada with a delicate and light-weight inside.
Sweets & Desserts
Suji ka halwa or Sheera is a traditional Indian semolina pudding made with sugar, ghee and dry fruits. The recipe I’ve shared is a household heirloom recipe. We’ve got been making this suji halwa recipe for many years throughout household get togethers, particular events & festivals. The sooji halwa recipe might be simply halved, doubled or tripled.
Make coconut ladoo with three recipes. The primary one is a fast 3 ingredient recipe made with contemporary coconut, milkmaid and cardamom powder. The second recipe has 2 elements – desiccated coconut and condensed milk. The third recipe is made with desiccated coconut and sugar.
1 hour 10 minutes
A Carrot Halwa recipe made within the conventional method and slow-cooked – with simply grated carrots, entire milk, ghee, sugar and a few nuts. You’ll love this evergreen and in style Gajar ka Halwa recipe. Make this wealthy candy for particular events or throughout festivals.
Apple halwa recipe made with apples, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Apple halwa is a scrumptious halwa that’s simple to make. This apple halwa doesn’t use sooji (rava), milk, khoya or milk powder. Simply apples, sugar (non-obligatory) and ghee. Flavorings and nuts of your selection might be added to the halwa.
Included on this part, is meals that you would be able to have after breaking the quick. I’ve listed largely Punjabi recipes and those which we make in our household.
Additionally, you will discover some starters and appetizers on this part. You’ll be able to serve the dal or the curries with roti or steamed rice. Pulao might be served with raita or a facet salad.
Lentils & Beans
9 hours 45 minutes
This Rajma recipe is a creamy, tangy and spiced curry made with dried kidney beans. This restaurant fashion Rajma Masala is made in a base of sautéed onions, tomatoes, spices and cream making it really scrumptious. Finest served with steamed scorching rice (known as chawal) or delicate roti or flaky paratha.
Paneer Butter Masala Recipe is one among India’s hottest paneer preparation. This restaurant fashion recipe with delicate paneer cubes dunked in a creamy, flippantly spiced tomato sauce or gravy is a greatest one which I’ve been making for a very long time. This wealthy dish is greatest served with roti or chapati, paratha, naan or rumali roti.
This scrumptious, vibrant Veg Kadai gravy is full of wealthy flavors, fragrant spices and greens. Made in a kadai (Indian wok) this dish has a medley of onions, tomatoes, bell peppers and numerous assorted veggies along with spices and cream for a finger-licking restaurant fashion gravy!
Matar Paneer is a well-liked North Indian curried dish that includes inexperienced peas and paneer (Indian cottage cheese) in a masala base of onions, tomatoes, cashews, spices and herbs. I’m sharing our household recipe of a flavorful and easy home-style Mutter Paneer. I’ve additionally shared making Matar Paneer within the Prompt Pot and in a pan or pot on the stovetop.
This Aloo Matar (additionally spelled Aloo Mutter) is a straightforward, scrumptious, comforting curry recipe of potato and inexperienced peas in an onion, tomato, spice laden gravy base. It makes for a wholesome and comforting meal when paired with Indian breads or steamed rice.
Pav Bhaji is a hearty, delightsome, flavorful meal of mashed vegetable gravy with fluffy delicate buttery dinner rolls served with a facet of crunchy piquant onions, tangy lemon and herby coriander. You’ll love this pav bhaji recipe for its Mumbai fashion flavors. I share the normal methodology of constructing Mumbai avenue fashion Pav Bhaji and a fast Prompt Pot recipe.
Attempting to get extra greens in your weight loss program? Do that vegetarian one pot meal of Pulao or Pulav made with basmati rice, combined veggies, spices and herbs. Use the greens that you just like most, like peas, potatoes, and inexperienced beans. Make this straightforward Veg Pulao recipe that packs a punch of taste!
Lemon Rice additionally known as Chitranna or Nimmakaya Pulihora is a crunchy, flavorful and tangy rice dish that’s simple to make and tastes so good. Recent lemon juice, fried nuts, aromatic herbs and spices mix completely to offer this steamed rice a tremendous spicy, tangy and nutty taste.
Rumali Roti is among the unleavened Indian breads that’s made historically within the Awadhi, Mughlai and Hyderabadi cuisines. Roomali roti are skinny delicate rotis and might be folded like a handkerchief. Therefore the identify Rumali or Roomali roti. The phrase ‘rumal’ means handkerchief in Hindi language.
Snacks, Starters & Soups
Hara bhara kabab is made with contemporary spinach leaves, inexperienced peas and potatoes. So they’re nutritious in addition to scrumptious. Hara bhara kebab makes for a superb Indian starter or snack. This inexperienced kabab will also be stuffed in burger buns or sandwiches might be constructed from them.
Chilli Paneer is among the in style recipe from the Indian Chinese language made with batter coated, crispy fried paneer cubes tossed in a spicy, salty, tangy and candy sauce made with inexperienced bell peppers, garlic, ginger, inexperienced chillies and seasonings. This Chilli Paneer recipe has a restaurant fashion style and taste.
Tandoori Aloo additionally known as Tandoori Aloo Tikka is a flavorful appetizer or starter snack of marinated, spiced potatoes which are normally grilled in a Tandoor – a clay oven. My recipe of Tandoori Aloo is definitely adaptable to grill in an oven or pan-fry in a skillet or frying pan.
This Karwa Chauth Recipes and Karwa Chauth Puja Vidhi put up from the archives was first printed in October 2011. It has been up to date and republished in October 2023.